Shashin 2.2 – Slideshows and Built-In Video Display
Shashin was overdue for an upgrade. The new version incorporates the latest version of Highslide, which means the big new feature is slideshows (scroll to the bottom of my Post to Post Links II error: No post found with slug "shinjuku-gyoen-national-garden" post to see a slideshow in action). I made the addition of the slideshow buttons automatic, which means if you’re already a Shashin user, you don’t need to do anything to enable slideshows in posts you’ve already written.
The other major new feature is that Shashin can now play Picasa videos locally in a Highslide window. This is also automatic. If you already have video thumbnails in your posts, and you’ve selected Highslide for viewing full size images in the Shashin Settings menu, then the videos will now play locally in a Highslide window. Here’s an Post to Post Links II error: No post found with slug "eidan-rocks-out".
A word of caution if you put a video within a slideshow of other images: the video will load up and start playing, but if the length of the video exceeds the length of time that’s set for displaying each image, the video will stop and the next image will be loaded. There’s no way around that.
Other new features include:
- New options in the Settings menu for autoplaying Highslide slideshows, how long to display each slideshow image, and the dimensions for displaying videos.
- Checks for shashin.css and highslide.css in your active theme directory – this allows you to customize the stylesheets without worrying about losing your customizations the next time you upgrade Shashin.
- No longer necessary to update image paths in highslide.css if you have WordPress installed in a subdirectory on your site (unless you choose to put a custom version of highslide.css in your theme directory – then you need to update the image paths to point to their location in the plugins directory).
- For the caption in Shashin’s tags, in addition to “y” or “n” you can now use “c”, which means all pictures will get the caption “Click picture to enlarge” and all videos will get the caption “Click picture to play video.” The actual caption will be displayed in the Highslide window.
- Option to make thumbnails not clickable, if you don’t want to display a larger version.
Important note to upgraders: Deactivate your old installation, upload the new version, and then reactivate. This is necessary for required updates to the Shashin tables. Also, you need to sync all your albums – click the “Sync All” button (under the “Manage” tab).