Shashin 3 Beta is Here
I just uploaded the beta release of Shashin 3 to GitHub. All the features are done, so this is the version I will upload to wordpress.org after all you nice people help me test it (what would be especially helpful is if someone tried it on a Windows server, which I do not have). If you find bugs, please submit issue tickets on GitHub, or leave a comment here.
I am working on a major re-write of my Post to Post Links II error: No post found with slug "shashin-wordpress-plugin", so that it documents how to use Shashin 3, as there are several major differences from Shashin 2. I intend to finish this weekend.
A key thing to note for those who’ve been using the alpha version is that it will now upgrade and replace an existing Shashin 2 installation (you can no longer run Shashin 2 and Shashin 3 side-by-side). It will update your Shashin 2 database and there’s an option now on the Shashin Settings menu to turn on support for the old shortcode format.
If you are upgrading from Shashin 2, please follow these upgrade instructions:
- Deactivate and delete your Shashin 3 Alpha installation if you have one
- Deactivate your Shashin 2 installation
- Backup and remove the “shashin” folder from your plugin directory
- Download Shashin 3 from GitHub, and rename its folder to “shashin”
- Upload it to your plugin folder
- Click “Plugins” in the WordPress admin sidebar, to reload the main plugin panel (this is important, so that WordPress will be aware of the underlying code change before activating)
- Activate Shashin. This will trigger the creation of backup copies of your existing Shashin 2 database tables, and then a series of transformations on the live tables to make them Shashin 3 compatible.
- You’ll see an upgrade nag message telling you to go to the Shashin Tools menu to complete the upgrade – follow the instructions you see there