Shashin 3 Development Version Available
Only a year overdue, I have a development version of Shashin 3 available for download. That’s the good news. The bad news is that all you can do with it right now is use its Tools Menu to sync albums. The Shashin tags and Highslide are not implemented yet. So it may not seem like much, but it’s been probably 80 hours of work so far. This is a complete rewrite, as I found myself unable to provide adequate support for the previous version, given the way I wrote it.
Over the past six months I have immersed myself in Clean Code, Agile Software Development, Refactoring, Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests, and more. I’ve been programming since I was 12 (which was a long time ago…) and in recent years thought I had become darn good at it. What I’ve been learning in recent months has been both humbling and exciting. Although the Shashin 3 menus look almost the same as before, if you look under the hood you will see something very different from the old Shashin. I hope to have the time to say more about it later.
But for now, I’m hoping those who’ve had the patience to wait this long for the next version of Shashin will be willing to test this development version. I’m especially looking for feedback from people who have had difficulty syncing albums in Shashin 2, as the new version does syncing in a completely new way, which I expect will be faster and more reliable. It’s designed to be extremely flexible, so after I get the Picasa functionality completed, I intend to add support for Flickr, Youtube, etc. The one limitation right now is that it supports public albums only.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Download the Shashin 3 development version at github: https://github.com/toppa/Shashin/
- After you unzip it, rename the folder to “shashin3alpha” (the folder name github assigns will change every time I update it)
- Download “Toppa-libs” from github: https://github.com/toppa/Toppa-libs
- After you unzip it, rename the folder to “toppa-libs”
- Upload both to your plugins folder, and activate them. You will then see “Shashin3Alpha” in your Tools menu. Note that you can install the new version side-by-side with an existing Shashin installation. They will not interfere with each other. That means you can uninstall it as well, without affecting your Shashin 2 installation.
- If you run into any issues, please report them on github. It will be much easier for me to track problems there than in my blog’s comments: https://github.com/toppa/Shashin/issues
What I’m hoping to do from now on is add a new piece of functionality to it roughly once a week, and upload it to github. I’ll tweet any major updates. Once all the basic functionality is in place, I’ll update the plugin repository at wordpress.org